Excessive use and costs in the Emergency Department (ED). United Health says 2 of 3 ED visits are avoidable. Last year, avoidable ED use cost $32 billion in US. Of this, $18B, or 55%, was due to Medicaid / Medicare.
Pre-visit intervention. Multiple studies show that interaction with frequent ED users before their visit can reduce ED use by 13 to 38%. A 2019 Yale study showed a 10x ROI on pre-visit intervention.
BlueStar provides an omni-channel pre-visit interaction program to encourage frequent ED users to avoid excessive ED use. The program includes:
- An initial training/indoctrination phone call.
- A medical alert console in the home, in plain view. This console has a wearable button to call for help in case of any emergency.
- The console has a concierge button to call a 24/7 nurse hotline. 60% of calls to nurse hotlines alleviate the need for ED visits.
- A weekly check-in call from BlueStar. Results of this weekly call are e-mailed to family and care circle.
- A weekly reminder e-mail from BlueStar.
- A weekly post-card reminder from BlueStar.
A 6% reduction in ER use will pay for the program. A 35% reduction will result in a 500% ROI.
The Next Step
A 30-minute conversation with Admiral Wray and BlueStar, to determine whether we might be able to help you and your program.
To set up a conversation with Admiral Wray, please fill out the form below and we will get back to you shortly.