Why is it important to eat healthy as a senior?
With old age comes the weakening of your immune system. Having a strong immune system is vital to staying healthy, and thereby guaranteeing a longer life. The first step in maintaining a healthy body is what you put into it! Focus on foods that will aid your body, not hurt it. Power foods are key to having a strong immune system!
What is a Power Food?
Power foods are foods that help heal the body, strengthen your immune system or are chock-full of nutrients. Instead of taking supplements, try getting nutrients naturally from power foods.
Types of Power Foods!
There are many different categories of power foods, let’s start with the Power Greens!
- Kelp is full of calcium, magnesium, potassium, and iodine. Iodine is extremely important for your thyroid levels. These nutrients will raise your energy and increase brain functioning!
- Its supercharged with vitamins and minerals! Specifically, vitamins A, C, and E. Broccoli also contain antioxidants and fiber. In order to fulfill its full health potential, you should cook it as little as possible.
- Other Power Greens
- Kale, bok choy, spinach, parsley, green beans, alfalfa
Vitamin C Power Houses
- Beets provide you with an energy boost consisting of carbs, calcium, vitamins A and C, and iron!
- Citrus fruits
- Citrus such as grapefruit, oranges, tangerines, lemons, limes, and clementines are full of vitamin C. This increases the production of white blood cells who are the fighters against infections.
- Red Bell Peppers
- Red Bell Peppers contain more vitamin C than citrus!
Disease Fighters, Immune System Boosters
- Mushrooms promote health and strengthen your immune system! White button, shiitake, portabella, and cremini mushrooms are all especially beneficial for your body.
- Probiotics like yogurt, kefir, and soy beverages fight diseases such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Skin infections, and cancers!
- Not only are almonds full of vitamin E, but they are fantastic for fighting off colds.
- Ginger reduces nausea and is wonderful for smooth digestion.
- Garlic slows down the hardening of arteries and lowers blood pressure!
- Not only does papaya have vitamin C and potassium, but it also contains an anti-inflammatory enzyme.
Rebuilders, All-Natural Healers
- Foods full of calcium like dairy products, green vegetables, nuts and beans, swiss chard, and fatty fish (such as salmon or sardines) are crucial because calcium heals broken bones!
Foods You Should Avoid
Now that you know which foods to attain more of, let’s talk about which foods you should avoid!
Sugar Power Houses
- Sugary drinks
- Sugary drinks such as a soda can be detrimental when consumed in mass amounts. It can drive up insulin resistance in the body.
- Fruit Juices
- Most fruit juices contain a lot of sugar, if you are going to drink a fruit juice try ones marked with less sugar or none at all!
- Ice Cream
- Ice cream is loaded with sugar and it is super accessible to eat in excessive amounts.
- Most pizzas are extremely high in calories if you want to enjoy pizza the best way to limit your calorie intake is to make it at home.
- French Fries/Potato Chips
- French fries and potato chips are also very high in calories, and they are designed to eat in excessive amounts.
- White Bread
- Most white bread is made from refined wheat which is low in crucial nutrients and it leads to rapid spikes in your blood sugar. Try rye bread or wheat bread instead!
- While margarine seems like an okay substitute for butter, it is actually made with industrial vegetable oils. This increases its trans fat content, making it a nightmare for your body.
Spike Your Immune System!
In order to maximize your health, you should stick to foods that naturally give you the nutrients you need. Instead of taking supplements, simply eat the foods that inherently have the nutrients you desire. Additionally, avoid foods that will naturally harm you. As a senior, it is pivotal to maintain a healthy body.
How BlueStar SeniorTech Can Help
If you would like to learn more general information about how to keep your body healthy, check out our blog post on Heart Health Diet Tips for Seniors.
BlueStar SeniorTech offers many solutions to keep you and your loved ones Safe, Healthy, & Connected. One of these ways to help with your heart health could be the HealthGuard – Senior Safety & Health System. The Healthguard is our finest and most capable family system for Safety, Health, and Connection. It’s almost like being there with Mom. A few of the vital signs it measures are Blood Pressure, Pulse/Oxygen levels, Blood Glucose, Weight Scale, and Body Temperature.
Learn more about how BlueStar SeniorTech can keep you and your loved ones Safe, Healthy, & Connected by visiting us online or call a product specialist today at (800) 300-1724, option 1.