The risk of falling increases as you age, and so does the risk of having a serious injury from that fall. But don’t lose hope- nearly 40% of falls are preventable! With these simple and life-saving fall prevention tips, you can stay safe from falling victim to gravity and prevent falls.
Before we get into some tips, let’s look at some statistics related to falls:
- 6 out of 10 visits a person over the age of 65 will make to a hospital emergency room are due to a fall in or around the home. (Consumer Product Safety Council)
- People who have Medical Alert Systems have fewer hospital and shorter hospital stays. (study by The New England Journal of Medicine)
- The mortality rate is 5 times higher for people who lay incapacitated for 12 hours after they fall versus those that get immediate help. (study by The New England Journal of Medicine)
Where do elderly people fall the most frequently?
It is important to be aware of the most vulnerable spots for falls to occur are. The two biggest locations are in the bathroom, with 45% of all falls happening there, and the kitchen, with 25%. Some tips for fall prevention in these areas are:
- Installing a handrail in the shower or near the toilet can help to prevent falls.
- Put things you might use on a regular basis in easy to reach spots
- Be aware and clean up any water that may end up on the floor
- Put non-slip mats on the shower floor/bathtub
General fall prevention tips:
- Keep walkways clear, removing any obstruction that could potentially get in the way.
- Exercise to keep your muscles strong and stay limber! Some people fall due to their muscles giving out.
- Sturdy shoes that will not come loose are the best to wear.
- Get a Medical Alert device to protect yourself if you are at risk to fall.
BlueStar SeniorTech offers many solutions to keep you and your loved ones Safe, Healthy, & Connected. One of these ways to help if you are prone to falling or just want that protection is to get one of our medical alert devices. The Ranger 4G is the smallest, lightest, and most compact mobile medical alert on the market, and our most popular product. We also have the Kanega watch, which is an all-in-one voice-controlled device designed to keep you independent, active, and safe.
If you want more information on how medical alert devices work, please click here.
Learn more about how BlueStar SeniorTech can keep you and your loved ones Safe, Healthy, & Connected by visiting us online or call a product specialist today at (800) 300-1724, option 1.