Lots of older parents quit talking with their kids and grandkids on the phone, because they can’t hear. Even with hearing aids. But did you know there is a federal program that provides close-captioned phone service for the hard of hearing?
It uses a captioned phone—everything the caller says is printed on a large display screen, so Grandad can catch every word. It connects to the phone service, and to your internet service, to provide the best of both worlds: voice and captions. Get this, and make phone calls fun again!
Rob from BlueStar demonstrates how the caption phone helps seniors with hearing loss understand phone conversations.
The CapTel 840i captioned telephone shows captions of everything your caller says on an extremely large display screen to help make sure you catch every word. It connects to both your telephone service and to your Internet service to give you the best of both worlds: voice and captions. The captions are provided by a free service that uses the Internet connection to automatically display captions for every call, quickly and accurately.
- Captions can be turned on/off as needed
- Callers dial your number directly
- Built-in Answering Machine
- Phone book to store frequently called numbers (95+ names)
- WiFi compatible
- Warranty 5-year Replacement Program
- Includes 90-day money back guarantee
- Telephone Service
- High-Speed Internet (WiFi or via Ethernet cable)
- Router may be required, depending on your set-up
- Standard electrical power
Depending on your Internet set up, a router may also be required to connect more than one device to your Internet service.
- Captions appear automatically on all calls – incoming and outgoing. No need for callers to dial through the Captioning Service.
- Wi-Fi compatible to position anywhere within your wireless network range
- Captions can be turned on or off at any time in a call.
- Built-in Answering Machine takes voice messages with captions
- Large, easy-to-read captions window with adjustable font sizes and colors.
- Display screen tilts for comfortable reading or lies flat to mount the phone on a wall.
- Adjustable volume control (up to 40dB gain) for captioned calls. Volume button is easy to see and adjust during a call.
- One-touch access to CapTel Customer Service (speed dial button automatically connects you to CapTel Help Line).
- Easy-to-follow menu system with Yes/No questions.
- Phone Book allows you to easily store and dial more than 95 names/phone numbers.
- Speed dial keys for one-touch dialing of frequently called numbers.
- Caller-ID capable – shows you who is calling directly on display screen.
- Captions available on calls within the United States only.
Submit your review
My mom was missing portions of phone conversations but was reluctant to tell us (her kids) so we bought her a caption phone and she no longer misses a word.
In the video above, BlueStar CEO, Admiral Rob Wray, gives an overview of BlueStar.