Normal functioning lungs are essential to our bodies and breathing. It’s critical to pay attention to the symptoms that could be warning signs for lung disease. Lung diseases can vary from COPD, asthma, emphysema and lung cancer. Problems can stem from pollens and mold. Pollens occur in the fall every year such as ragweed, nettle, mugwort, fat hen and sorrel that people can get allergic to. By knowing the early warning signs, you can receive the right treatment before the disease turns serious and life threatening.
Here are the Top 10 Warning Signs of Lung Disease:
- Chronic cough that lasts longer than usual.
- Shortness of breath that happens frequently and causes difficulty in breathing.
- Heavy mucus production that lasts longer than a month.
- Wheezing indicating airways blockage.
- Coughing up blood is a serious sign.
- Chest pains.
- Common lung irritants can be found outdoors and indoors which can irritate the lungs. These include pet dander, dust mites, mold, pollen, ragweed, etc. Following are the things you can do to avoid these irritants:
- Make sure to clean the Air: Buy a vacuum with a HEPA filter to reduce lead, chemical build-up, and natural allergens in the home.
- Make your space greener: Indoor plants can purify the air by removing toxins. Go for spider plants and aloe vera plants when choosing which to place in your home.
- Go Natural: Try to go for fragrance-free products whenever possible. Fragrances found in cleaning products, laundry detergents, and air fresheners can all damage the lungs.
- Test for Radon: Make sure your home has a radon detector. This colorless, odorless gas is the second leading cause of lung cancer today (next to cigarette smoke).
We can take our lungs for granted and forget that they keep us alive and well. There are many things you can do (mentioned above) to reduce the risk of lung disease and keep your lungs healthy.
Here at BlueStar, it is our goal to keep you and your loved ones Safe, Healthy, and Connected. We do this by offering best medical alert systems and solutions for falls and injuries that are available on our website. These senior life health products can deliver push-button emergency help so you are never alone. If you have any questions, please contact a product specialist today at (800) 300-1724, option 1!